APS welcomes applications for Signature Membership from artists who have been members of APS for a minimum of 9 months by the time of the application deadline. Benefits of Signature Membership include:
- A gallery page on the APS website highlighting up to 10 images, artist statement, biography and links to chosen online sites.
- Participation in an in-person Signature Membership Exhibition every two years at no additional cost.
- Ability to use “APS” in the artist’s signature.
The APS Signature Committee evaluates submissions as described under “Application” below. The standard for signature membership is high. Applicants are expected to demonstrate a comprehensive artistic understanding, developed point of view, and critical awareness of their own skillset. We recommend that artists consider their readiness before applying.
Deadline and notification:
Applications open May 1 annually; the deadline to submit applications is November 1st. The committee will send back decisions by December 1st. Signature membership will then be applied for the following January membership year on payment of the Signature Membership fee.
To apply for Signature Membership, please submit the following to email@example.com:
- 5 images of paintings created within the past 3 years
- Artist statement/bio
- CV (listing of career highlights, shows, awards, relevant education, etc)
- Website/social media link (if any)
Paintings will be evaluated by awarding up to five points per criterion for each painting:
- Composition, values, and overall artistic proficiency
- Impact of submission to create an emotional response
- Color use/sense
- Mark making and the consistent mastery of the pastel medium- originality and intent to realize an individual artistic vision.
Please read these guidelines for submitted paintings carefully:
- Work submitted must not have been created during a class, workshop, or under any type of supervised instruction or guidance. Any such pieces are not considered originals and will be disqualified, which includes having reworked one of these paintings.
- Any subject or style can be submitted- from traditional to contemporary to abstract. Work should show consistent artistry, even if not in a traditional series.
- All work must be traditional dry pastel. If you use an underpainting, the surface must be 80% pastel.
- Images should all be 2000px on the longest side and 300dpi. Images should be cleanly cropped of mats or frames.
There will be a $25 non-refundable application fee; this fee must be paid by November 1 at the Adirondack Pastel Society website in order for the application to be considered complete and the submission to be juried.
Signature Membership is $35 annually (in place of the regular $25-30 APS membership fee), payable by January 1 after acceptance as a Signature Member.
The Signature Committee juries anonymously. For questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org